|“||What's going on is that you, Mike Dugan, are now in control of me, The Thunderbolt! As in Johnny Thunder and The Thunderbolt. Of the Justice Society of America! You're so lucky.||”|
— Thunderbolt introduces himself to Mike in ""
He is a magical, electrical, fun-loving, wish-granting pink imp. The wishes he grants often cause more trouble than the wish-asker would ever expect. But despite his somewhat constant supernatural disasters, the Thunderbolt's heart is always in the right place, even if it is wounded by the friends he has lost throughout his long existence.
He was previously thought to be a powerful weapon used by a member of the Justice Society of America used to fight crime. It appears to be an ordinary pink pen; however, it contains a powerful electrical charge.
Thunderbolt is from the homeland of Bahdnesia, a location that is no longer on the map. He found his way to the equally lonely Johnny Thunder and they teamed up to become the crime-fighting duo, "Johnny Thunder and the Thunderbolt". They joined the infamous superhero group the Justice Society of America, and fought foes with the team. However, due to the unpredictable nature of Thunderbolt and his literal interpretation of wishes, the pair were often sidelined during great battles. They were initially benched on the December 24th battle against the Injustice Society of America, but were called into action by Wildcat. Sadly, Johnny Thunder was killed during the battle but made a final wish that Thunderbolt would find a new friend. Thunderbolt went inactive for eleven years as his pink pen sat at the JSA's headquarters.
When Pat Dugan brought Courtney Whitmore the Justice Society of America Headquarters she discovered the Thunderbolt among the artifacts that the JSA left behind. Courtney became inspired to use the artifacts to reform the society but Pat warned her against using the pen because he felt it was the most dangerous weapon in the collection. Later when Courtney returned to the JSA headquarters to steal the artifacts she attempted to take the pen but it produced an electrical charge when she tried to grab it which caused it to make a laughing noise at her. She grimaced but placed it in her bag in spite of this.
She later tried to use the Thunderbolt by clicking the pen but nothing happened. She repeated this action several times before giving up, thinking that it is just a useless object. But when she leaves the room, a laughing sound emits from the pen.
Thunderbolt is a fun-loving, electrical, and magical creature whose good intentions aren't always conveyed well. He is very literal and can only grant wishes at their face value. He is charismatic, boisterous, and exaggerated in his movements. He lives to have fun and has fun to live. He is eager to teach his ways to any new friend. He is attracted to like-minded individuals and can only be activated by those who feel as he does - absolutely, completely, alone. He is sarcastic, witty, and doesn't hold back his insults or underhanded remarks.
- Wish Granting: He can grant the wishes of others, manifesting the desires of his wielder into reality and making their wildest dreams come true. The wisher must be extremely specific as to what they what Thunderbolt to do, as he can only do what he's commanded. Thunderbolt can grant an unlimited number of wishes, but can't grant the same wish twice per wielder.
- Conjuring: Thunderbolt is able to conjure numerous stop signs when Mike asked Thunderbolt to stop three boy bullies from bullying a girl, bring down water on Mike, and conjure numerous items.
- Exact Command: Thunderbolt's powers are confined to specific rules that he must follow. The first being that "you gotta be specific". He is a very literal being that can only grant a wish at face-value. Mike was thirsty and asked for water, so Thunderbolt made it so Mike was drenched with water. Because he did not specify how he wanted the water, Thunderbolt was forced to merely give him water.
- The Rules: Thunderbolt's powers are limited, as he cannot do the following: alter physical appearances, make the same wish twice, grant a wish for someone to die, and cannot bring someone back from the dead.
- Umbrakinesis: Thunderbolt is not immune to the powers of The Shade, and was easily attacked by the villain's superpowers. The shadows were able to grip ahold of him and send him flying backward. Thunderbolt was sent back to his pen and his wielder at the time was knocked unconscious.
- Made by: Johnny Thunder
- Find a new friend. Thunderbolt obliged and remained dormant for eleven years, until he found someone worthy of his friendship.
- Made by: Mike Dugan
- "I'm thirsty. I wish I had some water." Thunderbolt granted the wish by dousing him with a giant splash of water.
- "Wish I was dry." Thunderbolt granted this wish by drying and his newspaper off.
- "I wish I was taller." Thunderbolt granted that wish by raising him onto a bench, thus making him "taller".
- Stop the bullies. Thunderbolt granted the wish by raining "Stop" signs all around them. He couldn't stop making the stop signs appear until the bullies stopped moving. Eventually, Thunderbolt was distracted from his mission and let the bullies escape.
- "In conclusion, show us the location of "The Shade," not to be confused with a lamp or window shade, but the last known member of the Injustice Society of America, hiding somewhere in Blue Valley, Nebraska, 68060, USA." Thunderbolt burned a hole in a map to signal where The Shade was hiding.
- "Thunderbolt, I wish you'd zap the villain known as "The Shade," not to be confused with a lamp or window shade." Thunderbolt did attack The Shade with a punch but was defeated by Shade's umbrakinesis.
- "I kind of just wish it was in better hands." Thunderbolt obliged and vanished from Mike's hands and found Jakeem Williams.
- Other Season 2 appearances include a mention in "".
Notes and Trivia
- When Courtney tried to remove the Thunderbolt, it not only shocked her with an electrical charge but also laughed at her.
- He is the second CGI character following Solomon Grundy. He is the first, however, to be voiced by an actor.
- The word "sowkewl" is used to activate Thunderbolt and pass control from one owner to the next. The word is part of his native language and means "set free the all-powerful force upon the Earth of the magical and awe-inspiring Thunderbolt!". It's also a synonym for the sound on the chalkboard that drives most people crazy.
- Thunderbolt enjoys the usually unpleasant sound that a chalkboard makes.
- In the DC Comics, the Thunderbolt is, "a semi-transparent pink anthropomorphic thunderbolt-shaped magic genie named Yz who can do about anything if it has a human guide to steer it." He currently resides in a magic pen and is only called into action when Jakeem Thunder clicks it.